The Trump administration is making good on its promise to cut off the flow of foreign visitors to the U.S. by temporarily barring entry to citizens of the United Kingdom, Mexico, the United States, Cuba and Iran.
But it’s also making good use of the same strategy it’s used to restrict entry to people from Iran and other Muslim-majority countries.
In a series of orders, the Department of Homeland Security announced Tuesday that travelers from those three countries will be banned from entering the United Sates for 90 days and temporarily barred from boarding U.C.L.A.’s international flight from New York to Los Angeles.
Those individuals will be barred from traveling to the United Nations for 90 consecutive days.
The department also announced that the U!
U.S., the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the UAE, Oman, Qatar, Turkey, the Uighur Autonomous Region, and the Philippines will be blocked from entry for 90 successive days.
A few dozen other countries will also be barred for 90 continuous days.
In addition, the travel ban will apply to U.K. citizens, U.A.E. citizens who have traveled to the country, and citizens of Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and Vietnam.
As the Washington Post’s Dylan Byers notes, the move is a major departure from the Obama administration’s previous efforts to tighten travel restrictions in the name of national security.
The Obama administration issued several travel restrictions targeting the Muslim-American community during the 2016 presidential campaign.
But Trump’s move is far more specific and comprehensive than that.
The order, the Post notes, is the first such restriction to target a particular group of people for indefinite exclusion from the United State.
Trump has said he is following in the footsteps of his predecessors in imposing a ban on Muslims entering the country.
But that hasn’t stopped the Trump administration from using the same tactics.
In February, the president signed an executive order to restrict travel from seven Muslim-dominated countries, including Syria, Iran and Iraq, that he said were fueling the rise of ISIS.
The travel restrictions were part of an effort to prevent refugees and migrants from entering this country, as well as the country’s own homegrown terror threat.
In March, Trump signed an order restricting immigration from seven countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. “
These countries have been a hotbed of terrorism, criminal activity and human rights abuses, and we have an obligation to protect the United, and American citizens, from any and all threats to our safety,” the statement continued.
In March, Trump signed an order restricting immigration from seven countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
The administration also announced in May that it would ban all non-immigrant visa holders from Iraq and Syria for 90 months.
The Trump Administration also announced Tuesday it would revoke the visas of Syrian and Iraqi refugees who have entered the United states for more than 90 days.
Trump’s order was the first since he took office to target certain individuals or groups of people based on their religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality.
In August, the Obama Administration announced that it was temporarily barring citizens of Iran and Cuba from entering U.N. facilities and would suspend all U.E.-U.
N visa-issuance agreements with the countries for 90 calendar days.
It was the second time in two months that the Trump government had issued a travel ban.
Last month, the government temporarily halted all Uighurs’ entry to the State Department.
Trump also signed an emergency order on Jan. 19 that temporarily suspended entry to Uighura, Tibetans’ homeland in China, for 90 to 120 days.